Forking Paths is my ongoing RPG zine spanning a variety of content. The theme for this second issue: Lost in Dark Halls.
The core of this zine is Labyrinthine, a self-contained storygame inspired by Greek myth, for solo or group play. Using prompts on maze tiles, you’ll tell the story of a protagonist worthy of myth as they make choices and handle consequences. You won’t explore just one series of events from beginning to end, though: you’ll traverse many branches, returning to earlier decisions to make new choices and see how events play out from there. Labyrinthine supports one to four players, with a game length of one to three hours.
- 52 maze tiles with unique prompts, falling into 6 types based on layout: Crosses, Branches, Halls, Turns, Ends, and Shrines
- Alternate method of play using a deck of playing cards, using the keyed prompts
- Card-based oracle for quickly generating protagonists (also available in handy digital form)
- Overview of the classical myth of the Labyrinth, Minotaur, Theseus, and Ariadne (and exploration of the myth’s conflicting accounts)
- Separate download of maze tile PDF ready for DIY printing
The zine’s cover and the bundled PDF of print-at-home maze tiles are in color; all other art and illustrations are in B&W. The PDF is in single-page layout format. Need it another way? Let me know!
I've also uploaded a PDF of blank maze tiles as a free download for anyone wanting to customize the existing set of tiles, or make their own set! There's a French version of the game rules & maze tiles as well, generously translated by Emojk.